Going back in time to update the blog :)
Frances and her dance class friends competed in the Teton County Fair talent show in July. I was hesitant to let her take part, when the mom of her friend came up with the idea and pitched it to me. I had visions of Honey Boo Boo, and of course preconceived notions about the "type" of people who do county fair "stuff." I reluctantly agreed, mostly because Frances' friends leaked the idea to her, and she really wanted to do it (I also assumed she would be too nervous, but I was dead wrong).
The girls' dance teacher popped by for a quick practice session, and the girls went for it! Watching all of the competitors, I had a new appreciation for the guts it takes these kids to get up in front of people and perform alone or in very small groups. It says a lot about their parents and/or teachers, that they have the confidence in themselves to do it, often messing up or falling short, but always picking themselves up and continuing.
Our little dancers came in 3rd place out of 4 contestants, and COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE THRILLED. Here's the other part that knocked my socks off. My heart sank a tiny bit for them when they didn't place first or second, but not one of them thought anything of it except that THEY PLACED. They got ribbons! They were so full of pride and happiness, that it humbled me and reminded me that so much of how we react to our kids has much more to do with our own perceptions of what they must be feeling, rather than what they are feeling.
Anyway, I thanked that mom afterward for having pushed us all to do it, because I learned something. And Frances had a blast. That ribbon means the world to her. And I'm so grateful that she had the opportunity to be excited about placing, before she comes to believe that winning is the only acceptable outcome.