I don't remember the exact quote or to whom it's attributed, but I read a sentiment somewhere a few years ago that said "It's not the houses I loved, but the lives I lived in them." I think it was Coco Chanel or someone otherwise glamorous.
Our recent blogging hiatus was caused by a move from one home to another, and throughout the process that particular quote has stuck with me. Uprooting all of our belongings and loading them onto a truck was a poignant reminder that life is not at all about the "stuff." So you've packed up the toys and the art and the furniture and the books. Big deal! Your two-year-old still wants to play, it's nap time, or meal time, and it doesn't even occur to her that what you call "life" was ever - in part - defined by the presence of those things.
So here we are in our new home - a rental for a year - feeling liberated for having edited and purged the "stuff," more aware than before of how little the structure matters compared to the life that's lived inside. We loved the condo we left, but mostly we loved the memories we made there - and we'll have those for a lifetime.
So, out with the old and in with the new! It is Spring, after all.
Here are a few pictures and video of Frances from the past few weeks, enjoying life between homes. She knows and enjoys the "new house," and remembers the old one - for now.
Home is wherever Frances is. And I think we're going to have a great time here.




